Makhana or fox nuts come from a plant called Euryal Fox which grows in the stagnant water of wetlands or ponds in Eastern Asia. Makhana have been used since 3000 years as a Chinese medicine, has a seprate place in the science of Ayurveda too.
Uses of Makhanaa
Makhanas or fox nuts are used in the Elaborate Purification Treatment of Panchakarma to detoxify the body, purify the mind and rejuvenate the spirit. The Makhanas are also used as a food for people who are fasting. The oil extracted from these lotus seeds is considered to be very useful for treating certain skin diseases. They are also used as an anti-aging ingredient in facial oil products & recommended for dryness, dullness & lack of radiance of skin due to its potent antioxidant properties, besides being safe for daily use.
Makhanas have thick, rounded shells and a hard shell with a rich creamy-white centre. They have a delicate slightly sweet taste which makes for a wholesome snack or a great addition to Indian recipes. Makhanas are rich in nutrients and a good source of protein. They are also said to have a number of health benefits – they help cure digestive problems, boost your immune system, keep skin healthy and even tame premature grey hair. Makhanas not only help in improving cognitive abilities, but also keep our mind fresh and make it sharper.
Phool Makhana, also known as Lotus seeds is an important ingredient in Indian recipes. Being very light on the stomach, these food items are consumed as a tasty snack as well as used as a binding agent in many other recipes. In fact you can find both sweet and savory food items which make use of it to provide a unique texture and flavour to the dish.
There are different types of Makhana in the market
There are all benefits of Makhana
1) Makhana are low in cholesterol, fat and sodium. This makes them an ideal and snack
2) It is more beneficial to those who suffering from heart diseases, high blood pressure, and obesity due to their low sodium content and high magnesium .
3) It is recommended for diabetics too
4) It contain many healing properties.
5. It also has anti-ageing enzyme and iron.
6) fox nuts astringent properties that benefit the kidneys.
7) Makhanas are protein rich, gluten-free, and high in carbohydrates, low in calories
8) It helps to weight loss.